Tuesday 21 June 2016

Gold Diggin'


Life seems to have this bad habit of getting so busy, that sometimes the weeks all start blurring into one. This is where I keep finding myself lately. I become so caught up by the busyness of the day and the chaos of life that I fail to recognize the pockets of gold hidden in each day and in each person (including myself).

Being busy robs us of our ability to be fully present, to love and interact slowly and deeply, and to properly process the phenomenon of life. We can only truly experience each person and each moment (and all the lessons, inspirations and growth that comes with it), if we go slow. 

Let's live and love slowly - digging for the gold in each moment, and calling out the good in those around us; giving everything and everyone our undivided attention. Let's appreciate life as it happens - moments will soon pass and we will wish we had treasured them more.

Some practical hints to help you go slow:
  • Take life in bite-sizes. Don't over commit yourself.
  • Make lists. Lots of lists. This will help you to filter your thinking; to put aside the thoughts that you need to remember for later so that you can be fully present and clear minded.
  • Take moments throughout the day to be aware of the now. Something that helps me do this is to list my 5 senses - one thing I see; one thing I feel; one thing I smell; one thing I taste; one thing I hear. This also helps me to appreciate the detail of my surroundings and to notice the little things like the smell of coffee in the morning or the faint sound of the wind through the trees outside my window at work.
  • Put the phone down. This one is most probably more for myself than anyone else. Whenever I find myself having few seconds of free time I pick up my phone and as my thumb scrolls through Facebook, Instagram or the like, my mind travels through the different times and places of social media rather than being present and here. To minimize this I have loosely scheduled (short) times of the day that are dedicated to social media. 
  • Call out the gold. Literally call it out loud. "I love this pen! It writes so smoothly." "Da-yam, looking fine Kayley Jane!" "Good job, old rattling car - you got my ass to work today!" "Flip well done Kayley, I know that was hard for you but we did it!". I know it sounds a little silly when you read them now, but I can testify that these ridiculous words that I say to myself have got me through the toughest of days. Actively choosing to search out the good in a situation and actually speaking them out to myself has started to change my default perspective and has forced me to be in the moment. 
 
So enjoy going slow and digging for gold - perhaps even share your experiences in the comment section below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment